Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Statistical Anomalies

All of my kids are lucky to have very "normal" belly buttons, "innies" that is. Apparently it is socially unacceptable to have an "outie." In fact may people have surgery to change their outie to an innie. Statistically speaking, 9/10 people have normal innie belly buttons. Ashton however is in that last 10% with an outie. Now I have never really seen an outie close up before, but I noticed some strange things about Ashton's first scar in life. When he was standing up or arching his back he has an outie, however, when he was sitting or laying normal his belly button retreated and it looks normal. Here are the pictures to prove it.
After a little more research I found out that this is a small umbilical hernia. I was a little grossed out by just the name, but let me warn you.....do NOT Google images for umbilical hernias. There are some REALLY gross pictures. Ashton's is a very small one, but some are huge. Anyway, it doesn't cause any harm and usually goes away by the time they are 3-4. So maybe by the time he is 3-4 he will join the rest of the family as an innie.

My other little anomaly is Nathan. He has recently started to write and color a lot and I have noticed that he is definitely left handed. Again, most people (about 90%...again!) are right handed. Nathan however is the exception. He even moves the mouse pad and mouse to the left side of the keyboard when he plays on the computer. When I did a little research on being left handed I found out that to be left handed is more common in men than women, and will cause him to be a schizophrenic, or a genius. Either way.....we knew our Nathan was something special! There are a lot of theories on why some people are left handed and some right, and you can read them here.

8 comments:

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

That is really funny. I was very curious if Abe was going to be an innie or an outie. I didn't realize it was so uncommon to be an outie. Oh, and that picture of Nathan looks like a combination of Bryan and Barlow!

Charlotte said...

Joseph is also a leftie. From the first moment he picked up a spoon, he has used his left hand. I will look at that site, and thanks for freaking me out about schizophrenia! I will take your word about the hernia pictures

GordonTucker said...

You need to teach nathan to do stuff lefties are better at, like pitching or boxing. Some of us are lucky enough to be both a rightie and a schizoid

Cheryl said...

Brenda, I a excited to keep up on your family now! Hope all is going well with you! Catch up with us on our Blog. Ours is private, but you can register to get a log on pretty easy! Thanks for the info on your blog!

andrea said...

That is so weird that Joseph is a lefty too, like you were just telling me how much alike you and Charlotte's kids were! Crazy. Your kids are so cute. Freaky, but cute.

Tucker Mom said...

We always knew that your kids were unique. Nathan looks alot like Trevor mixed with Nathan. I can see the Barlow Bryan thing though. I looked at the ucky web site. Never tell me not to do something I just can't help doing it.

JAMIE said...

i love your blog...Can't believe the kids you have...so cute. It has been at least ten years. Alot can happen in that time.

Boyer Family said...

I must admit I have never seen an outtie before! That is crazy.
I kept wondering if Madison was going to be left handed because sometimes she draws with her left and she can sign with her left. Maybe she'll be one who can do both.