Friday, June 27, 2008
Summer Routines?
Summer is a couple of weeks in and we are still working out the kinks of our summer routines. I had the new schedules worked out on paper, but decided that on the 2nd and 3rd days of summer I would spend scrapbooking.....which was great! But that also meant NO schedule at all for the kids. The rest of that week was spent recovering from the 2 scrapbook days. After that I thought, OK, now we can really start the new routines. Then the fever struck. There is a a strange sickness going around our ward where kids run a really high fever for about 2 days. It started with Nathan, then spread to Ashton, then to Kaylee. If they had all gotten it the same 2 days it would have been better, but they decided to take turns (now they decide to share and take turns!) It would also have been better if Ashton had not decided to be sick for 4 days instead of just 2. Anyway, that took us to the middle of the second week of summer, so then Wednesday was spent recovering from having sick kids (aka...doing all their chores that they had neglected) Then finally yesterday we started onto a REAL summer routine. It was actually a lot of fun. We were able to finish our work by 9:30 in the morning, then the kids had some computer time, we went to the library, followed by the park with sprinklers and a picnic lunch. After the park we had our summer school lessons and piano practice, after that we spent an hour reading (I started reading Fablehaven to the kids, then they read on their own for a while) That was followed by dinner during which a Kirby salesman came and cleaned some carpets. I have had bad experiences with Kirby salesmen in the past so I told them they were welcome to come clean my carpets for free so long as they did NOT try to sell me the vacuum. They agreed and actually stuck to it. Well, today is day 2 on the routine, so I had better go before I am to far behind!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
That is pretty cool that they cleaned your carpets. I need them to visit me! Good luck sticking to the schedule.
We are still getting settled into our summer routine. This is only week 1 for us, so we are working out the kinks. My excuse is that we moved the week before school let out and I am still getting settled in the new house! I wish it were scrapbooking and I'm glad it isn't sickness.
Routines are good but remember they are only routines. I loved summer routines but somtimes it just didn't work to have them. Good luck with the summer and we will see you soon.
Good for you for having a routine. I think it helps you make more time for fun activities.
Our carpets need cleaned in a major way. Madison has peed all over them!
That sounds great!... When I was Trevor's age, my mom set up a summer reading program with prizes. She just had me read for awhile each day, and keep track of all the books on a paper... after 5 or 10 books she would give me a small box of legos or something cool like that. It was a good way to keep my brain working during the "off season." Just a thought. Your kids obviously already like reading, and probably don't need the boost, but at the same time it might add some fun to the summer. It kept us away from the TV during any time that we weren't playing outside.
I have also done that with my children over the summer (the home reading challenge). Pennsylvania had the BEST summer reading program and NC and CT just don't compare, so I do the PA program with just my kids. It sounds very similar to what Jared suggested.
During the summer my mom would make us earn "TV tickets"- half an hour of reading for a ticket worth half an hour of TV. It didn't mind it too much because I always liked reading, and it was kind of fun. I'm glad to see piano practice in the schedule!
Post a Comment