After our wards Elders Quorum party last Saturday there were some leftover 5 gallon containers of lemonade. We were lucky enough to bring one home to finish of the lemonade before returning the container to our friend. The kids enjoyed the lemonade for nearly a week, but I drew tired of keeping the large container around, so when it was almost gone, I told the kids it was time to return the container and say goodbye to the lemonade container than never ran dry. Most of the kids were kind of upset, but when I explained that the container was not ours and they wanted it back then were OK with it......that is except for Trevor. After much pleading to keep it around until it was gone he finally asked if we could please get a picture of it.
Now to many of you this might seem like a simple request, especially in a day where we have digital pictures that can be taken, then erased at no cost. But for Trevor it is a little different. He becomes quite "attached" to things. He has a hard time throwing anything out, broken toys, old coloring books, broken crayons, even wrappers to things sometimes. In an effort to halt this behavior before he is grown we are cautious about what we will take pictures of or keep for a while so that he learns to just let go. Anyway, my patience was running thin that day as you kindred moms would understand (to find out if you are a kindred mom click here) so I said a firm NO to taking a picture of the lemonade container. After a lot of tears and me trying to figure out why he was so attached to this container, it finally hit me that he had simply been asking for us to pour some of the lemonade that was left into a pitcher to be able to drink. He was asking can we get a pitcher of it!! I had to laugh and when I explained to Trevor what I had been thinking he was talking about and he explained that he couldn't understand why I wouldn't just pour him a pitcher of lemonade!!
Anyway, we learned a valuable lesson about communication and the kids were able to enjoy the lemonade a couple more days due to the nice pitcher full that we took!
8 comments:
That totally made me laugh!! Thanks for the cute story.
I laughed out loud. That is so funny. I am glad that it occured to you what he was talking about. I too would have thought that he wanted a picture of the container because you are so good at taking pictures of things. Funny story.
Too funny! What a mean mom you are....not letting him keep a pitcher of lemonade in the fridge! It reminds me of when Ben was trying to sign to you about the WWF and you kept seeing 6-6-9.
That is really funny. Isn't it crazy the difference between how you see things and how your kids do sometimes?
To be funny you should have taken a picture of it to put up with your post. :)
I laughed so hard when I read this. It really is amazing some communication gaps we all have sometimes. And yet, it is a very simple thing when we take a second to sit and try to understand
Oh, that is hilarious. (Yes, here I am, what a great FRIEND commenting on your blog!) I was sitting here thinking, "What weird kid wants to take a picture of a lemonade container?" Glad to hear Trevor is normal after all!
Too funny! I'm sure I would have missed understood him too. I like your independence day pictures. Who took them for you and where? I like the pretty trees in the background.
Eliza- We took the pictures ourselves with a self timer on the camera and we did them at Chiawana Park on the west end.
Post a Comment