Pages

Friday, July 18, 2008

Running on Empty


So you know that Seinfeld episode where Kramer tries to test drive the car past empty to see how far it will go? That is my life right now, but instead of fuel for the car we are trying it out with fuel for our bodies. Tuesday was shopping day, but I didn't feel like shopping on Tuesday so I thought, eh we have enough food to last until tomorrow. Then Wednesday came and we had a picnic lunch scheduled at the park with friends, so by the time we got home from that I thought, I will go after Bryan gets home. Then Bryan got home and had to go on splits with the missionaries, so I thought, eh we have enough food to make it til tomorrow. Then Thursday. Thursday we went to a free movie (Nancy Drew...cuter than I thought it would be) then picked up some free flowers that one of our neighbors was getting rid of, then weeded and planted them in our flowerbed, then it was time for enrichment meeting. Now it is Friday. We went swimming this morning and now the kids are resting or watching a movie. I need to do some major housework and we have plans to eat dinner at the baseball game we are going to tonight. So I am thinking to myself....eh, we have enough to last til tomorrow, then Bryan will be here and I wont have to take the kids by myself. But our cupboards/fridge are getting pretty low. Here are a few things I have learned about running on empty:

-Babies can eat instant oatmeal. When you are out of cereal and milk the kids can eat oatmeal (all it needs is water!) and it turns out Ashton LOVES the stuff, go figure.

-Food Storage comes in handy. Once again when you are out of bread and Dino chickens you can pulled out the food storage aka: Romane soup which Ashton gobbled up.

-If you leave a pan of meat out to add to some soup as you run out the door to enrichment meeting, leaving instructions for your hubbie to add the meat to the soup and feed the kids, you are likely to come home and find the meat gone, the soup still on the stove cold and PB&J Sandwich stuff all over the counters.

-You can make macaroni and cheese without the milk. When I run out of bread and Dino chickens for lunch we go to macaroni and cheese (usually before we break into the Romane soup) But I always forget that when I am out of bread and chicken nuggets I am usually out of milk as well, but never fear, it only takes 1/4 cup, and doesn't taste TOO bad with only butter and cheese.

-Don't try adding ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese to canned ravioli thinking that it will taste like lasagna.....it doesn't.

9 comments:

Boyer Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Boyer Family said...

I try that sometimes to save money on our budget but we usually end up spending more on the "little" things. It is kind of like the laundry thing, it NEVER works yet I keep trying it.

Tucker Mom said...

Creativity begins on empty. Of course with kids that will eat ham and jam sandwitches it shouldn't be hard to get them to eat something creative. Sounds like you are keeping really busy.

Charlotte said...

That was so funny. I laughed because it is TOO TRUE (although I, to, have tried to make mac and cheese with out milk and it didn't turn out well for me). I started giving Matthew oatmeal when he was younger. He always loved it, too. Thanks for the heads up on the ravioli, I could see trying the reasoning behind it, but now I know not to try!

Alicia Leppert said...

This was soooo funny, and way too familiar. I have often made Mac and Cheese only to find we have no butter. It works, but my kids always say, "This tastes different." It's totally dry, but they eat it.

My favorite part was coming home to the meat gone and the PB&J stuff out. I love that all husbands are the same!

I missed Enrichment. Was it good?

andrea said...

Isn't it nice that we can look back on things and laugh now? Ah, yes. Our fall-back meal a lot of times is baked potatoes. Ever since last summer when I ate Raman Noodles for one, sometimes two meals a day, I haven't been able to stomach it. Let me know if you ever want to do a late-night grocery trip, that would be fun and maybe we can inspire each other to stick to our budgets!

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

Haha! At least you had Pringles right? Enough to last you for days if you had to. One time Ken and I tried to turn a can of Pringles into Au Gratin potatoes, not the brightest...but hey, what can you do? I'll have to give Abe some oatmeal and see what he thinks.

Anonymous said...

hi this is Becca, well I guess you knew me is Becky. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Your kids are adorable! This living on empty is the story of my life. I hate to shop for food. I always put it off to the bitter end

Kevin and Eliza said...

Too funny. Sounds like something I do. I seem to always put of grocery shopping as long as possible. Basically once we're out of milk I have to go.