Bryan surprised us all by getting the morning off of work so we decided to take advantage of the time we had with him. We got up and ready and took a family bike ride to the church. We played some basketball there. (I beat Bryan in a game of around the world, and he beat me in a game of PIG) Then we rode our bikes home. As soon as we got home Bryan had to leave for work, and the kids and I packed a picnic lunch and headed to the park. We had a lot of fun there playing, eating and throwing rocks into the river. Unfortunately it started to rain so we had to come home. Then we were able to rest for a while and get the house clean. The kids worked so hard that I let them earn $2 each for their efforts. $2 at our house is a fortune, I normally do things one quarter at a time. They could not believe that they had earned 8 quarters!! After a long day, we put the kids to bed and enjoyed watching the Office (which was over really fast!) As I reflect on my day I realized that I had learned a lot of things. Here are a few:
1) Kaylee is growing up faster than I realize. She rode her bike with training wheels the entire way. It was the first time she has gone on a bike longer than just to the corner and back. She learned how to get up and down from the sidewalk to the road so quickly, after just a couple of tries she managed it without having to have a push at the end.
2) I LOVE the Playtex bottles. You know the ones with the liners in them. I have always liked this kind of bottle, but it was especially nice when we were riding our bikes home and Ashton got hungry. Now for those of you who are not familiar with Ashton's eating habits he is a very sporadic eater, sometimes he only goes 2 hours between feedings and other times it is 6-8 hours. But whatever the time frame, when he decides he is hungry he will scream until he gets fed. Anyway, I was able to squeeze the air out of the bottle and he could drink it from a sitting position. It was great.
3) I really like doing stuff with my kids. Don't get me wrong, I have always like doing stuff with my kids. But this week has shown me how much fun we really can have together. It does not all have to be work work work. I would have loved to have gotten more housework done, or at least a little laundry done this week, but the time I have spent with my kids has been priceless. We are thinking about extending our word of the day for longer than just spring break, and I think I will let the kids plan the menus more often. They love knowing what is for each meal.
4) I am grateful for inspired church leaders who help me know which directions to take my life, for having been raised by great parents who taught me well, and being surrounded by friends and family members (whether physically surrounded our just being able to communicate online or over the phone), and a husband who knows and loves me more than I can understand.
5) My life is truly blessed.
7 comments:
How much weight have you lost? You look great.
Sounds like a really fun time. I'm glad you had a good week.
I'm jealous, lately Abe won't even look twice at a bottle (and we have those Playtex ones!)
I'm glad you guys had such a fun week, even if you had to end it by looking at Theodore's huge butt. I really wish we had bikes, I would LOVE to go for a bike ride!!
Brenda you look really good. That sounds like so much fun. We want to get a bike trailer like you have (we also want to get our bikes and will someday Kim :) Glad that you guys are taking advantage of Spring!
you forgot:
6) Barlow is the master of Catan
:)
Great points, Brenda. I like how you realized how much fun you can have with your kids. I'm glad you guys could go on a fun family bike ride. We're planning on doing a lot of those this summer. Maybe we could all get together and go on one!
hey I'm glad you had such a fun time I wish we could do that with. Our family but my dad works to much to do it and our church isn't close to our house.;)
You sound like you are having fun. The times you play with your kids are the times you remember. The house and laundry will always have to be done. Kids grow up and leave and you still have the house and laundry. Good to enjoy them and create memories while they are still living at your home. You are looking skinny.
Post a Comment