Pages

Friday, March 14, 2008

What a Day

Well, I have been pretty busy this last week. Everyone in my family has been sick. It started with Ashton last week, then Trevor got it, then Bryan, myself, Nathan and last but not least Kaylee. Ashton is almost over it, and the rest of us suffer mostly at night and early morning. Things are starting to get back to normal, but we did have an interesting night and day today. Kaylee was up ALL night complaining that her tooth hurt. So first thing this morning I took her in to the dentist. It turns out that she does have a tooth that needs to be pulled out, however, that is not the tooth that was causing her trouble. The trouble tooth is her 6 year old molars that are just coming in. The dentist said to give her Tylenol and ibuprofen, and Benadryl to sleep if needed. On the way home she started complaining that her ear hurt so when we got home I went to give her some ibuprofen, only to find that our new bottle of it was missing. I asked Nathan if he had seen it and he informed me that it was all gone. This was not good news because Nathan has a history of drinking entire bottles of medicine (last time it cost us $400 for the ER to call poison control and tell us he was OK) After he showed me the empty bottle and admitted to drinking the whole thing 2-3 days ago, I wised up and called poison control myself (OK, OK, first I called Peter and he told me to call poison control) Luckily Nathan is a very ...solid kid weighing in at almost 40 lbs so they told me that he would have had to drink 1 and 1/2 bottles before it would cause him trouble. (See what you have to look forward to Kim...not to say that you have a .....solid kid or anything) What a relief. The only problem now was that I had to take 4 sick kids with me to the store to buy more medicine. Oh boy, what a day!

10 comments:

GordonTucker said...

Good news, now I dont have to worry about OD'ing on ibuprofen.
I cant believe your kid is a druggie...

Boyer Family said...

Jared and I both got a good laugh out of that. Where do you keep your meds? Maybe you should buy him that flavor of drinks so he'll get his kicks that. Sorry you'll have been sick. Hope it passes soon.

Brenda said...

We keep our meds up high, but I had gotten it down to give to Trever earlier this week. After I gave it to Trevor I set it on his dresser, I had a "feeling" to not leave it there and I thought, ok, I will go tuck Kaylee in then come back for the medicine. When I got back the medicine was missing, and Nathan was asleep in Trevor's room, so I figured I would ask him about it in the morning and I forgot. I'm not sure if he drank it that night or later.

andrea said...

I'm wondering where Nathan is learning such dangerous behavior. You know, Brenda, if you're having problems you can always talk to me.

Charlotte said...

Elise(age 3) Empty cold medicine bottle found. Later found the spot on the carpet.
Ryan(age 2) Pill bottle found empty at Grandma Later's. Gave epicac till he puked.
Ethan and Kirsti (good kids)
Joseph(age 3)Matthew(age 1) Elise came down saying that Matthew was drinking allergy medicine. Joseph confesses to opening it because he is "sick" and giving it to Matthew because he is "sick" too. Bottle was full and now empty. Call Peter. He says keep them awake, they won't be able to pee and might hallucinate.

Nothing like finding out your kids can open a "child proof" cap the hard way!

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

Wow. I'm going to be such a better parent than you guys are! Ha ha, right? I'm sure I've just jinxed myself.

Tucker Mom said...

We need the kids here to open the child proof bottles because they are not child proof but senior proof. You would all get your kicks out of watching Grandma Jo and myself trying to open a pill bottle. Glad all went well. My kids never did stuff like that!!!!!! ( By the way never say that it comes back to get you)

andrea said...

The trick is to teach your kids how to read before they're two, that way they will be able to read the warnings on the label and won't drink things they are not supposed to. You guys have so much to learn from me. (haha!!!)

Barlow said...

Oh no... sounds like Andrea got into the medicine again and has gone loopy. If Addie knew how to read medicine warnings, she would poison us and then demand we put on Veggie Tales before mixing us the antidote.

andrea said...

I thought the exact same thing as trevor (about primary colors!)I was also confused for a long time about the president of the country and the president of the church... why does it all have to be so confusing??