
For Family Home Evening on Monday we made a thankful tree. I got the idea from my
cousins blog and adapted it a little. We decided to go to the park to gather real leaves that had fallen. Then we made a tree trunk out of butcher paper. We wrote things we were thankful for on the leaves and hung them up. It was interesting to hear the things my kids would come up with. Some of them took a little tweaking but I think we covered the basics. I told them that every time they were feeling grumpy or sad they could walk by the thankful tree and remember all the blessings we have. This technique actually worked for me as well when I walked past it with a grumpy baby who had been crying for an hour. I walked past the tree and saw Ashton's name on one of the leaves. Pausing to remember how grateful I was for Ashton to be in my family made it a little easier to deal with the crying fit. I am thankful for all the many blessings in my life.
13 comments:
That's such a great idea! How did you get the leaves on your wall?
Holy Cow, we adapted the same idea from the same blog! I even made it into one tree. I cut out the leaves, though and they each get to put on one a day until Thanksgiving. We really must be related.
This is a great idea. My girls would love it, too. Maybe we'll have to copy. :-)
That is so sweet! I love that idea and how much fun to do with the kids - I might have to steal that one :-)
It is always worth it to take the time and remember what we are thankful for. It really does make life easier to realize that so many things that drive us crazy are also blessings.
What a great idea! We should do that too. Counting my blessings would help me too.
Cool! I will be over in a minute to find my name on your tree...
I love that idea. I will have to try that with Dad and Gordon and Jessica. It is always good to count your blessings.
What a fun idea! We might have to do that one this month - my kids would love it!
What a great idea! I love your tree. Real leaves that is awesome too. Thanks for sharing.
Cute idea! I love the real leaves too!
It can be hard to realize the good things we have in life when everything seems to be going wrong. What a good idea (props to Gina too) to have that visual reminder.
I totally almost did the same thing too! Way to go Gina, your changing everyone's life one blog post at a time. Brenda, yours turned out way cuter than my idea. Your kids look really cute in this picture.
Post a Comment