I HATE spelling. I was always able to memorize my spelling lists and do just fine on my spelling tests in elementary school, but when it comes to real life I stink. I have come to rely on spell check for everything. But sometimes spell check lets me down. You would think they could come up with something that can tell you..."Hey idiot you typed pole, but you meant poll!" (I made that mistake once and it ended up sounding like I did a "pole" workout :0 ) and while I am on the topic of dumb things that spell checks do, why is it that when I spell the word dont with no apostrophe the word don't with an apostrophe is the second option on the list, the first being dint...what does dint even mean??? and does anyone really mean dint when they type dont? (I googled it and it apparently means a blow, or force, it can also mean the same as dent...go figure)
Another rant about spell check is the word OK, I know it is supposed to be spelled with a capital O and a capitol K, but when it is at the beginning of a sentence, I like the way it looks as Ok, or sometimes even ok and for some reason it erks my to have it come up on spell check when I type it that way. Especially when the whole OK thing might have come about due to a misspelled word in the first place (Oll Korrect in stead of All Correct), but could have also come from TONS of other places like the Greek phrase Ola Kala (Ὅλα Καλά, ΟΚ), "everything is fine". (Wikipedia is awesome!)
One last thing....Why is Walmart not in the dictionary...it totally should be.
7 comments:
Oy, again with the negativity!
I'm a terrible speller too and I agree that spell checker could have some fixes...
I dont think any of you appreciate the complex algorithms that go into spell checking within a reasonable amount of time. Doing things like fixing word from Pole to Poll would be so complex that it would take a super computer to do it in reasonable amounts of time.
I too hate speeling though
I can't spell to save my life. Sometimes I can't even remember the word that I was trying to spell in the first place. What about a program to put the word in that you mean to have there?
oK, the poll/pole misspelling was one of my favorites. My newest word processor fixes words as I mistype them and sometimes puts in the wrong word. And I am the queen of typing words into google to make sure I'm spelling correctly. But that is a whole other post. . .
I use google to spell check daily. Not only do I miss spell words, I don't know which wit h is which ( really I do but it sounds cool) and do I go thru a door or through a door. Really I just suck at English so I speak and write everything in American.
Oh and I hate that my phone won't let me text Walmart. Seriously that should be a word in the text dictionary.
I hate spelling. I have never been talented in that area
Post a Comment