So here is my story: I was sitting in my back yard working on assembling our new play set when I looked down and saw a spider on my leg. This was not just a little spider. It was a big hairy black jumping spider. We do see these sometimes in the garage or yard, so I wasn't shocked at it's sight, but the fact that it was on me was awful. I surprised myself by not freaking out and instead I thought calmly...."OK, what should I do?" My first thought was to whack the spider off my leg with the power drill that I was holding. I quickly dismissed this idea for fear that I would miss and the spider would "attack" me (these spiders don't actually bit, but I fear them none the less) or that I would miss and hit my leg. My next thought was to whack it off my leg with one of the boards I was working on. I again worried about a miss on my part (I am not the most coordinated person in the world) I decided rather to hold the board up to my leg near the spider and see if he would climb aboard. as I put the board near him, he reared up onto his hind legs getting into a "jumping" position. At this point my heart started pounding because the jumping position looks a lot like a "ready to strike" position. I was relieved thought when instead of jumping at me he took a few steps closer to the board and climbed on. Quick relief flooded over me. But now what to do with the spider for now he was sitting on the board I was ready to install on the play set. Once again my first instinct was toward violence and to just flip the board over and smash the spider. The main reason for not doing this was that I did not want to clean up spider guts off the board, so I tapped the board on a piece of cardboard causing the spider to fall off, then I slid the cardboard over to the fence and waited for him to climb off. You read right I let the thing live. This is a first for me, but for some reason I could not kill it, after all he had not attacked me when he had the chance. All said and done, I do regret a little not killing this spider, but I made up for it when I saw another one in the garage yesterday and stepped on him without a second thought. Pesky little creatures!
If you want to see what kind of spider it was click here
12 comments:
I HATE SPIDERS!!! I am really proud of you for not freaking out. I am not calm at all when it comes to having bugs on me.
Would you say its worse or better than that spider house you had in salt lake?
The fact that you even had time to think about what to do before jumping up and screaming and taking a shower to get all the spider germs off proves you are way better than me. That spider had better not be there when I come over tomorrow, I will not be so kind.
This is mom and I would have died of a heart attack. That is one mean looking spider. I would have just flicked it off of my leg. I also would have killed it on the spot it landed. UCK
I am so proud of you Brenda! That spider is freaky and I am sure I'll have bad dreams about him tonight because I know he's still alive.
Andrea I love your comment about showering because of spider germs. I think the same thing, like the spider has infected my entire body.
Gross! Even the picture made me want to wash spider germs off! Good move not smashing it into the board. I have made such mistakes before. Lets just say, I don't care how big or scary the spider and how close my flip-flops, I am running to the bedroom for a pair of Peter's shoes!
The crazy thing is, is that I am just as bad if not worse around spiders than all of you. I normally FREAK out! I have totally done the run to get a "man" shoe to get the spider. I have no idea why I was so calm on this one, that is one reason I did not kill the dumb thing I guess. I have done a little research on these spiders and they are actually pretty smart, so when he was looking at me, he really was looking at me and deciding if he should climb on the board or not!
Okay, so you just ruined any shot you had of us moving to Washington with that picture. That is so nasty looking. I'd hate to see that anywhere! If the spider is smart, maybe he was the same one you killed the next day, he'd decided to hang around because you weren't the killing type. You sure fooled him!
Hahahaha, Barlow will confirm that I yell at him when he tries to use one of my shoes for the killing (you don't think I would actually smash it, do you?!?!)
That is so amazing that you even thought about anything except "aaaagh!!!". I actually had a spider on my foot this morning when we were outside, and didn't even notice until Anna said, "Mom, there's a spider on you" At that point I said AAAAAGGGGHH! and flicked it off-I wasn't wearing shoes,otherwise it would have been smooshed!
I am starting to feel bad about letting the spider live, I am starting to see the spiders all over the place, never fear the exterminator is near!
I had one of these nasty guys crawling around on my kitchen ceiling and I totally freaked out. It was so scary looking...and every time I got near it would rear up like it was going to attack me. I had to run and look it up online, too. Eeeek, too scary. I ended up killing it with bug spray and then a shoe once it fell off the ceiling. Worse than killing a spider inside your house, is wondering where it is when you lie down at night to go to sleep when you didn't kill it. My girls were cheering and clapping when I killed it and telling me how brave I am...only cause I was freaking out at it so much. Since then, I've had to kill three more. Seriously, it's time to call the exterminator.
Post a Comment