Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

How We Came to Be

My 11th Anniversary is coming up and I thought someone out there might be interested in our "how we met" story.  I would post it on our anniversary, but we are taking a family vacation and I figure I will have plenty to post about our trip, so I would do this one a little bit early.

Spring 1997:
Locations:  Me-Ricks College, Bryan: Guatemala
Me:   
I had a boyfriend that was wanting to become more serious and so I was praying if it was "right"  As soon as I finished one of my prayers I received a very clear and concise answer that I was not to marry this boy because I wanted to date Bryan Davis when he got home from his mission.  I though..."hmmm..Bryan huh, I haven't ever gone out with him, nor have I written to him on his mission, but he is pretty cute and a good guy so I guess I will start writing him and see what happens."
Bryan:
At this time he had just written his mom asking her for my address so that he could write me a letter.

Spring-Early Winter 1997:
We exchanged a series of letters and I secretly called him "my missionary" to my roommates.

November 1997:
I knew it would be Bryan's homecoming so I made an excuse to come home from Ricks to attend.  I brought my roommate with me.  After sacrament meeting there was a crowd around Bryan so I decided I would just talk to him later, because I didn't go up to him, I didn't get the memo that everyone was invited to his house afterwards, because I didn't get this memo, I didn't go over.  I had to leave for Ricks that night.  About 1 hour before we had to go something strange possessed me and I called Bryan's house to say goodbye, he was not home, but his mother said she would give him the message.  A few minutes later Bryan showed up at my door (apparently his mother liked me and after I called she tracked Bryan down as quickly as possible and told him I was leaving soon, so Bryan RAN to my house in order to catch me before I left)  He came in and chatted with my family for about 10 minutes, shook everyone's hand (like a good missionary should) and left.  My heart was beating 1000 times per minute, I said goodbye and headed back to school.

The next week:
I had a friend leaving on a mission, and wanted to see Bryan again, so I headed back down to Utah with my roommate.  During Sacrament meeting she was my eyes and ears.   We sat right behind Bryan's family, she let me know every time he looked back at me, or whispered something to his sister.  (I couldn't be caught staring at him after all) He looked several times.

December 9, 1997, my birthday:
I received a very peculiar package from Bryan that contained a banner that said happy birthday, a cake mix, and a little thing called a hum-bug (it was a little toy bug in a box whose legs moved when you shook the box)  That night he called me and my heart leaped!

Later in December:
Bryan came up to Rexburg to "look for housing"  He later admitted that he could have found his housing online, but that he really wanted to see me, so he took a bus up with no way to get home.  He stayed at a friends house but came over one night to watch a movie with me.  He sat on the couch and I sat on the floor.  The movie we watched was My Best Friends Wedding.  After he left I was sad because I had convinced myself that I would be the Julia Roberts someday at his wedding.   His plan to get home was to ask me for a ride.  It was the last week of school and he knew I would be heading home.  I was thrilled to spend 4 hours in a car with him.

Christmas Break 1997:
We saw each other, or at least called each other every day.   One night it was getting late around 11:00 and I had not seen him, and he had not called, I was distressed and came to realize that he was not going to call, just as I did this the phone rang, it was him, he had spent the last 1/2 hour deciding if it was to late to call, someone had been on the Internet so he couldn't call earlier (yes, dial-up Internet, the good old days)  Once again, my heart leapt.

January-March 1998:
We were both at Ricks and saw each other every day, I felt SO lucky to be able to spend time with him.  We were both unsure of what was happening.  I was insecure about how he felt and thought that he might have a crush on my roommate (back to the My Best Friends Wedding feelings) and it didn't help matters that on a date he laughingly told me that when his roommate had asked if we were "dating" he had laughed and said no.  A month or so later on March 14th he proposed.  I guess we skipped that dating thing.  Of course I said yes and the rest is history.  (the proposal story is pretty good and I will share it another time)

May 29, 1998-Present
Our love has grown in leaps and bounds.  He still makes my heart leap sometimes when we are sitting close and I think about how lucky I was to be his creme brulee (if that doesn't make sense, go watch My Best Friends Wedding)  I am so glad to have been guided by the spirit to find someone so perfect for me. 

Happy Anniversary Bryan!
Here is our wedding announcement picture

15 comments:

Ben and Alissa said...

What a great story! I love hearing dating and engagement stories!

You guys are just BABIES in that pictures! So young!

Happy Anniversary next week! I hope your vacation is fun!

Shayla said...

Oh, I LOVE hearing these stories and I love how you told it. My heart was beating fast for you as I read it. :-) Is that cheesy? I'm a total romantic. So you jumped from being unsure and insecure to him proposing... Did you realize you were dating by the time he proposed? Had you said you loved each other? You've got to fill in the blanks for me here, Brenda. Inquiring minds need to know. :-) Oh, and happy anniversary!! I'm still sad we didn't get to sit with you guys the other night. I guess we need to get together again and hang out, huh?

Kevin and Eliza said...

I also love hearing how people fell in love. Thanks for sharing. I also have questions like Shayla so you will have to do a fill in sometime. Have a wonderful Anniversary. It was fun to see what you looked like when the story took place.

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

I totally remember when you thought Bryan liked your roommate. How funny is that? It was a match made in heaven for sure and Bryan has always been a natural fit in the family. Happy Anniversary.

Charlotte said...

The engagement is an awesome story. I hope you share it soon. I still sometimes think about how strange it is that you married Bryan. Never saw it coming (but I guess you finally did!). Happy anniversary!!

Grandma Davis said...

I still think that you two make a great match. Love you both. Happy Anniversary!

Unknown said...

Great hearing your story..as has been said, can't wait to hear more.
Love your picture.
Happy anniversary!!

Bryan Davis said...

OK OK to clarify a few things. I am sure that one reason I joked about us dating is that I was sure that such a smart and good looking girl wouldn't really want to date a geeky guy like myself, I mean just look at the picture, sheesh those were some nice glasses. And it is true we got engaged in March the whole joking about dating incident happened in January so we did have 2 months to date. And luckily Brenda left out the whole ice skating fiasco.

But as I am sure you all know and would agree I am very lucky to have such a great wife, and best friend.

Happy anniversary , I love you and appreciate all that you do for me and the kids.

Beth said...

I can't belive it's been 11 years already! I've always thought you guys were a perfect match. Happy anniversary guys!
p.s. That ice skating incident was a fiasco!!

Boyer Family said...

I am so glad that you married Bryan and that he is part of our family. He has always been a good big brother to me. Honestly I was so young when you guys got hitched I only have like 5 memories of you without him. Happy Anniversary!

Kristi said...

Alright, not only do you have to fill us in on the little details like Shayla mentioned, but now you have to tell us about the ice skating fiasco! I always wonder how couples met and fell in love. And I wonder what they looked like at the time. So thanks for clearing up at least one couple for me! Happy Anniversary!

Tiffany said...

I didn't know you knew Bryan when he was on his mission and you at college. So I was quite impressed that Heavenly Father gave you a specific name of a guy you didn't even know.

Happy Anniversary.

Boyd and Melissa said...

I loved reading your story too! What a fun time! Miss you guys! Are you passing through Boise anytime this summer!
The Ricks!

Barlow said...

Yeah, the ice skating story is awesome :)

Shalise said...

What a cute idea! That was fun to read.