Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Where has the time gone part 2

This post is totally unrelated to the last but the title seemed more fitting for this post.  Something happened this week, it was unexpected and has changed my outlook on a lot of things.  Let me start by saying I did not spend a lot of time on the computer.  I would sit down at breakfast and lunch and check emails and blogs and such, but I wouldn't spend that much time.....would I?

Some of you may know that the computer that we use right now is a computer that we bought before Kaylee was born.  It has an amazing hard drive of 40 gigs (and can I just say, that was a TON of memory when we bought the dumb thing!)  It has slowly gotten slower, and slower and slower.  Luckily I have amazing brothers who know tons about computers and can either answer my questions over the phone, or come right over and do a quick overhaul.  This is the only reason it has lasted this long, but alas, last week while trying to get some pictures uploaded to get prints I had ENOUGH!  I swore off our computer for good.

We had already ordered a new computer (almost 700 gigs I am SO excited!!) But it keeps getting delayed for one reason or another.  I thought to myself, it would not be that hard to not use the computer for a week while I wait for the new one.  Low and behold it WAS hard, REALLY hard actually.  I had to turn the whole thing off and even kept it unplugged, even looking at it makes me a little angry.  So where did my new found time go?  To my house and kids.  All of a sudden instead of reading blogs during breakfast, I was cleaning up the kitchen or reading my scriptures in stead.  I had all my housework done by 9:30 and had the rest of the day to.....well......to do whatever I wanted.  I scrapbooked, I read to my kids, I even went outside and played with them.  It was AMAZING.  I know when my new computer does come it will be harder to turn it off and keep this good thing going, but I am really going to try.  It has made that big of a difference in my life (and I am so serious that I didn't think I spent that much time on it in the first place!)

I have some other posts to do, but they all involve pictures which are on my "turned off computer" while I write this post on Bryan's work laptop which he brought home for the weekend.  Oh and I will update the pictures from the last blog with captions to tell you all who those handsome people were, so go check it out again!

9 comments:

Beth said...

That is so true! just "checking a few things" always turns into more time than you think. Maybe I should try your experiment too.

Charlotte said...

Don't scare me like this. You mean you are going to spend more time online talking with your sister. I've wondered where you've been. Kids can read to themselves ;)

Good luck with the new computer- Hope it one day actually arrives.

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

I found cutting out computer in the morning was very effective. I always stayed more on task and found I had more time to mess around on it later on, because, like you said everything was done! Good luck with the new computer.

Tucker Dad said...

I am excited that you're finally getting a new computer. It'll be so fast - for at least a month or two. Seems like every time you turn around the new is out of date when it comes to computers.

Thanks for posting the quotes. I loved them.

DAD

GordonTucker said...

What helps me is the iphone. I dont have to keep checking my mail, it shows up whenever someone sends me some.

The blogs don't take long on google reader either. I keep my blog list down to just family and a very few friends (who dont update anyway).

Good luck on the computer.

Kristi said...

You got all your housework done by 9:30am? You kill me. I don't get all my housework done all day. Plus you drove the kids to school. That means you had about 45 minutes to do your housework! I give up. I don't think my housework will be all done until my kids are all in school. Sigh!
That's exciting that you're getting a new computer, though! Hope you can work it into your more productive schedule! Now I'm off to fold and do some more laundry. It never ends...

Mom at Our House said...

Oh just you wait. We will get you hooked again. Blogging is Addictive. You can't just walk away.

Jessica Tucker said...

I am really bad with my computer time I just get sucked in and 15 min. turns into an hour. hope you like the new computer

Chelsea said...

I found your blog! It was nice seeing you the other week. New computers are cool.