Pages

Monday, February 23, 2009

A Tale of the Pinewood Derby

Well our first pinewood derby is finally over.  I would love to tell the tale of Trevor's car going so super fast, the fame, the glory, everyone asking how did you do it??  But alas, this is not that kind of tale, but I get ahead of myself, let us start at the beginning.
In a land far far away there was a humble housewife who did her motherly duties without complaint (for the most part)  Until one day the man of the house handed her a small bag with a block of wood, some metal rods and some round wheels and said "This will become my greatest masterpiece....or I mean this will become my son's greatest masterpiece!"  He went on to explain how in 2 short weeks this simple block of wood would become a fast car that would win in a race against all the other local men's er boy's cars.  The humble mother had heard of these races so she was not surprised.

The son created a design...."It must be pikachu!" he said.  So a lightning bolt theme came to life.  This will not be to bad thought the mother.  Little did she know that not only would it require a new saw, and as much time as the father could spare, but much of her time as well.   The entire family slaved away until finally the night of the race arrived.  Stress and worry began to build up inside this simple mother's heart as she looked at the car with no wheels, and no weights.  The father tore apart the garage, but with no luck, there were no fishing weights in the house.  "RUN to the store....quickly GO" counseled the mother.  So off they went arriving home only 10 minutes before they had to leave for the race.  

The father quickly drilled some holes for the weights and the mother hustled all the children into their carriage.  As they traveled the patient mother super glued the axles on and placed the wheels.  Only 5 minutes late...."surely they have not started" they thought.  (luckily they lived in Mormonville where everything starts late)  There was still time!!  Lubricate, add weight quickly now sit down and watch the magic!

As the boy's turn to race came everyone watched.  Oh no!  A false start, the boy's car left several seconds before the other racer!   Wait...what is this, the boys car STILL lost???  Oh NO!  This is not going to be pretty.  They restarted the racers and with no surprise, the boys car lost.  There was still one more chance for him, but everyone knew....he would not win.  With a sad heart the father went to check on the car.  Some other fathers who had witnessed this sad event came to help as well.  "Wait....what is this....you used the axles that they gave you??  No No", the fathers said, "we all used nails to keep our wheels in place, the axles are to small and make the wheels rub!!"  WHAT????   Quickly the fathers worked, they pulled off the super glued axles and nailed some better wheels in place.  It was to late to win the prize, but something had to be done to raise the boy's spirit.  When they raced again his car actually beat some of the other boys!  Amazing.  Everyone was happy....and just wait until NEXT year!
At least he won the prize for the most creative car (and thus the mother smiled as well)

12 comments:

andrea said...

Poor Trev. But the car did look pretty awesome. But what's with the devil eyes Austin is giving that poor car? Trying to burn the competition? :-)

BTW... hot and heavy?!?!?! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! THAT is funny.

Shayla said...

Very clever re-telling, Brenda. :-) All these blog stories of Pinewood Derby's makes me sad for my hubby and his missing out at this much-deserved rite of passage for men...oh, I mean boys. Oh well, maybe he'll get called to be a cub scout leader instead. :-)

Kristi said...

I'm not looking forward to when my boys will be involved with Pinewood Derby. I don't think it's fair to have some 8-10 year olds (or however old they are) competing with a bunch of 30-somethings. You know a lot of those boys' dads actually make the entire car. Stinkers. What does that teach their kids? That it's okay to take credit for someone else's work? That integrity can be placed on the shelf in the name of winning? Ugh. Don't get me started...

On another note, I'm perusing your playlist for songs to download. You have a great selection!

Charlotte said...

The car looked great! Like I told you, we prefer form over function for pinewood derby. Although even I know about the wheel axles. Our cars come with nails. And we use the nifty graphite stuff.

But still, I would rather have a lightening car that loses than a boring car that wins.

Kevin and Eliza said...

The car looked great! I'm impressed with the design.

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

I agree with Charlotte, winning for the most creative car takes all over actually winning a race. I'll tuck the nail info in the back of mind for 8 years down the road! I'm surprised Trevor wasn't giving his car bunny ears though.

Anonymous said...

I think you should go down in history as the 1st Mom to ever build to derby car...I thought it looked great and was WAY impressed! I also agree with Andrea about Austin eyes, you captured a side of him that most people dont get to see...lucky you! Keep up the great work DERBY MOM! :)

Boyer Family said...

Did you guys carve the Pika? It looked awesome!

Beth said...

Your car looked great! And hey, any excuse to buy new tools! Brenda, you have a great writing style.

Mom at Our House said...

That is honestly the COOLEST car I have ever seen. Who cares if it won "fastest" looks are much more important. Right?!

Tucker Mom said...

That was a great car. Trevor can look forward to always having the most creative car. Maybe next year he will have the fastest one too.

Cormorant said...

I just showed my little one the car and he started asking how he could get that car. it looks really good.