Pages

Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Friendship Celebration!

Come on. I understand that some people don't celebrate holidays, but do we have to make up silly names for all the school parties that the kids have. Instead of a Halloween party they have a Harvest Celebration, instead of Christmas Parties we have a Winter Party and instead of a Valentines Party it is a Friendship Celebration?? Anyway....I went back and forth this year on if I wanted to have the kids do homemade valentines or if I just wanted to buy them at the store. After much debating we went with homemade. For FHE on Monday I pulled out all my paper, punches, glue, scissors etc. and let the kids go to town. It was pretty simple and TONS of fun. there was a small folded piece of paper that they got to decorate any way they wanted, then we put it around a sucker and stapled the bottom (I had to buy a new stapler as I have not been able to find mine for a very long time....it is probably hiding with my pizza cutter and my kitchen sheers.) They turned out really cute and the kids had a ball.

Nathan worked just as long as the other kids, but only produced ONE single valentine which he said was for his friend. It was huge with tons of papers glued on it. When he finally finished it he took the sucker out of it and ate it....guess he didn't quite get the concept.
Trevor worked well but stopped after about 15 and had me finish the rest of his so that he could finish a book. Before he left I told him to let me take a picture of him with his valentines that he had lined up. In order to get closer to them he tried to scoot over to the stool next to him....unfortunately I had moved the stool around to the other side of the counter to sit on.....so Trevor went right to the floor! He was such a trooper and got up to take the picture. If you look his expression still looks rather painful.
Kaylee could have done this all night. She finished the 23 she needed for her class then kept going. She is so creative and made each one of hers different. She ended up making some for her current teacher and past teacher and anyone else she could think of.
All in all they turned out great. I am heading up to the school to bring treats and help out with the friendship celebration (shouldn't they be forbidden to bring Valentine cards and only be able to bring Friendship cards?) Hope you all find LOVE this Friendship time of year!

11 comments:

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

Utah was really big into renaming holidays, but here they put a big old Christmas tree right in the front of the school and have Santa visit all the rooms. No Halloween costumes at school though. It looks like a really fun project. Good for you for

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

Utah was really big into renaming holidays, but here they put a big old Christmas tree right in the front of the school and have Santa visit all the rooms. No Halloween costumes at school though. It looks like a really fun project. Good for you for

Unknown said...

Good for you Brenda, you are brave! I am glad that they did well and had fun.
As far as renaming holidays, I think it is silly, Why can't they leave all the adult pettiness for the adults and let the children enjoy the holidays!?!
the Valentines look great!

Ben and Alissa said...

Sounds fun! I hope the Friendship Celebration went well, that is so silly they can't call it Valentine's day. Christmas/Winter Party I sorta get, but they can't do Valentine's day?

Tucker Mom said...

Wow what a creative idea to let the kids join in the fun. I use to make the valentines but I did all the work. Your kids are go creative. Really looks like fun.

Beth said...

cute valentines! I can't belive that Trevor is not giving those cards bunny ears!

Kevin and Eliza said...

That is a really cute idea. I like the pictures. How fun.

Charlotte said...

I love the sucker idea! They called it valentines here, but weren't allowed to bring in ANY candy or food. Not even candy hearts with the valentines. So we added pencils.

GordonTucker said...

That's lame. I hate schools forcing retarded crap on kids. Let kids be kids.

(I posted earlier, but it was at the same time charlotte did, and my comment would save... weird eh?)

GordonTucker said...

Dang typo

I meant my comment would NOT save.

Shayla said...

I'm with you on the "Friendship Day" renaming. Weird. I can't believe you guys did the homemade valentines. You rock! I almost did that and then my husband laughed at me and told me to give myself a break already. My girls would have loved it, though! :-) Turns out my hubby's a genius, cause not two days later I get a call that my family is going to visit in three days! Thank goodness for Walmart and $2 pre-made "Friendship" Cards.