Pages

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Just your average trip to the post office....

My children have been on a 2 hour delay for school every day this week. While in some ways it has been wonderful (you know...more time with my kids, no not that I can sleep in longer, shame on you for even thinking it) But it has caused a few hiccups in my Christmas preparations. The worst hiccup came with shipping my Christmas presents though.

I am pretty paranoid about getting things shipped on time. You would think this would motivate me to get all prepared and shipped in the first week of December, but somehow I seem to cut it close year after year. This year was no different. I had planned to do my post office run on Monday, but because of the two hour delay (and a lot of wasted time playing intellectual games like Cake Mania) I had to postpone my trip until Tuesday.

I had everyone ready to go before I took the kids to school (oohh, everyone clap for me...I can get everyone ready to go by 10:30) and went straight to the post office after the school. When I pulled into the parking lot. As I got out of the car I realized that I had not brought a coat for either one of my boys that I still had with me. Now the dilemma starts

*It is only a few feet to the door of the post office....they will be fine with no coat
BUT-I am wearing a big heavy coat so everyone in the post office will think I am a TERRIBLE mother for wearing a coat myself and not putting one on my babies

*Maybe I should just drive home and get their coats
BUT-I live a whole 10 minutes from the post office....what a waste of time (not like computer games...stop judging me) plus Ashton's coat is in the washing machine.

*Ok, my car is messy enough that there HAS to be SOMETHING in here that will work as a coat
BUT-but NOTHING, this never fails. When my car is messy enough I can usually survive for days.

I realized quickly that there was a baby hoody in the car as well as my heavy black jacket (ok, so I can not blame only my kids for leaving stuff in the car) I put the sweatshirt on Ashton and roll up the sleeves on the black jacket for Nathan and into the post office I go, and of course the line is HUGE.

I patiently wait and surprisingly enough my kids behave great and before I know it I am at the front of the line, then I am at the counter shipping my packages. During the transaction an elderly gentleman comes up to me and hands me a pen. OK I thought, I didn't drop a pen, but thanks. Quick smile to the old man and back to the shipping. A few seconds later a woman comes up to me and hands me a pacifier and a "woman's item" Hmm...now I am wondering where this stuff is falling out of. It was obviously mine. Oh well, that was kind of embarrassing, but back to the shipping. It was not until the third visit from someone in the HUGE line handing me another "woman's item" and a receipt that I take the time to turn around to see Nathan had removed my black jacket and was spinning it around, and thus spreading the contents of the pockets all over the post office floor, giving EVERYONE in line some good entertainment.

Oh well, my shipping was done, my kids were warm enough and the post office even had plates of cookies sitting out for us to eat. All in all I will count it as a successful trip to the post office. Hope everyone I had to ship to appreciates it! Have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!

11 comments:

andrea said...

Thanks for shipping my stuff for me, too! Oh, wait... :-) That's what I have a husband for!

That is so funny, I really wish I could have witnessed it.

Vanessa said...

That's hilarious Brenda! I made Paul go to the post office for me so that I wouldn't have to. You are brave.

Shayla said...

Eeek! That DOES sound embarrassing. I hate post office trips, but they're so much easier now with that kiosk thing-y that you can use to ship your own packages...then you don't have to stand in line. I HATE standing in line.

Mom at Our House said...

That is so freakin hilarious.

I refused to bring my kids to the post office at this time of year. I made my husband pay the extra for shipping and ordered everything on the internet.

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

Your package arrived today! So it was all worth it! When I had to go to the post office, I brought Abe's stroller and chocolate covered raisins. They weren't a bribe of course, they were a reward for being good! haha!

Alicia Leppert said...

What, no screwdriver or first aid kit? Who the heck hauls that much stuff around in their pockets?! So funny.

Charlotte said...

Oh, that was SO funny! I mean, gee, sorry you were so embarrassed. HaHaHaHaHaHaHa. Matthew refuses to put on his coat the other day so I carried into the store so people would know I tried.

Although often I realize I have once again gone to the store with my children terribly underdressed for the weather, while I am dressed completely appropriately. Although I have never had the kids drop feminine hygiene items in public.

Boyer Family said...

I was thinking of "A Beautiful Mind" when you said someone handed you a pen. I was like oh he was trying to honor her for being a good mom.

MichelleB said...

So funny! Those darn 2 hour delays.

Brooke Flint said...

You are hillarious! Jared and I read your blog all the time when we need a good laugh, kepp 'em coming! Oh and you Christmas card was darling!
Brooke

Tucker Mom said...

Thanks for the laugh. Count on your kids to embarress you in any place.