Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Here's to a Healthy New Year

Some people (including my wonderful Husband) think that New Year Resolutions are somewhat of a waste of time. Not that goals are a bad thing, just setting a bunch at the beginning of the year, only to stop doing them in a couple days or weeks. I on the other hand believe that any time something motivates you to get going on a goal it is worth while. But because I am lazy didn't want to look to geeky, I waited to start my goals until half way into January. I also decided that I was going to be really original in my goals and think of something that no one else would do. What are my new goals?? Simply put.....To be able to wear a swim suit in public this summer.

I know that goals take planning and hard work to accomplish so I set out chatting with all my friends about losing weight. This didn't help me lose anything, but along the way one of them suggested that weight loss is mostly in your head. I grabbed on to this with both hands and meditated every day about losing weight. How did I remember to meditate about it?? It was easy, it's amazing how getting in the shower can remind a person of their weight loss goals. Unfortunately simple meditation didn't do much either (I did lose a couple of pounds which I think was a direct result of the meditation, but might have had to do with retaining water.....) So at last I was forced to fall back on good old diet and exercise. Here is a little update on how it is going.
Part 1: Eat Healthy and Drink Lots of Water
I bought tons of fruits and vegetables at the store so that I could have stuff on hand that was more healthy to eat. I also switched to as many whole wheat products as I could. I have stuck to this now for a couple of days. But I am not a hard core "I will never eat sweets again" type of person so I would allow myself lets say one gold fish cracker. Unfortunately the urge to eat my one gold fish cracker came as I was taking my 9 month old out of the van. You see he had been eating said fishy crackers and I don't know what came over me but I reached down, grabbed one off his lap and tossed it in my mouth. It wasn't until I was chewing that it occurred to me that the fishy cracker may have been sucked on by the baby and spit out again. Oh well, live and learn right?
Part 2: Get limber and keep moving:
Exercising has been going well also. I have been going to a dance aerobics class at the gym. At first I felt awkward and uncoordinated but as the weeks passed I started to feel better about my performance. I purposely positioned myself in front of a door instead of the mirrors that line the class room so that I would not have to watch myself "dance." I even worked up enough confidence to try out a Zumba class. This strategy worked until today. My sister came with me and she stood in the spot in front of the door!! "No big deal" I thought. I will just not look in the mirror. I didn't work. I looked. I saw myself. It was not pretty. The moves that I thought I was doing right, I was most definitely doing WRONG. I looked like a spastic fish out of water. I don't even want to think about what I looked like doing the Latin moves in Zumba! My nice "child bearing" hips just don't move like they used too. (truth be told they never moved very well to begin with) Oh well, live and learn right?
Part 3: Get plenty of rest:
Part 3 is not a problem. Sleeping sounds good all of the time. Lived. Learned.

I intend to keep up on all these goals, and yes even continue to go to the dance classes. If you happen to see me there though, please don't let me know that you saw me.

9 comments:

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

I wish I could go to dance class with you! Sounds fun. You should reward yourself with a gorgeous new swimsuit when you meet your goal.

Tucker Mom said...

That was funny. I would dance next to you and you would look like Andrea doing dance moves. Oh well all I can do is walk and there definatly are not any mirrors. Good luck but alas be prepared to be beaten.

Beth said...

Zumba is on my list of things to try this year too. I know I'm going to look like an idiot!

Kevin and Eliza said...

Love it, keep up the good work.

andrea said...

I am soooooo glad I have someone to motivate me to go to the gym and lose weight!! And you don't look spastic. Some of the women in the class, THEY look spastic, you look great!

Charlotte said...

Oh Andrea, don't laugh at the spastic until you've seen me. I tried to stay away from the glass-free door, but I have no body control.

I am not so sure about all those very difficult resolutions. I think I'll just randomly pick one. I choose #3.

Alicia Leppert said...

What's wrong with people who say "I'll never eat sugar again", huh??? Go big or go home, that's my motto. Not really, but it sounded good. And I eat a lot worse things then fishy crackers, let alone ONE fishy cracker. I don't think you need to have guilt over that one. You're inspiring!

Vanessa said...

You are so funny Brenda! I love the way you write. You made me wonder what working out was like, and just for a moment I thought I might try it.

Boyer Family said...

Keep it up! I wish I could go to the gym with everyone :(